Why Join PHADA?
Day after day, all year long, PHADA membership yields an exceptional “return on investment” (ROI) that provides benefits to housing authorities, staff, and the low-income people and communities they serve. This ROI makes PHADA membership one of the most cost-effective decisions you make for yourself and your housing authority.
All Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) and affiliated industry organizations are eligible for PHADA membership upon approval by the Association of an application. Each member organization is represented by their Executive Director.
Types of Membership
Only a member agency’s representatives (Executive Director or Designee) may vote or hold office in the Association, except that the Assistant Secretary may be an employee of the Association. Regardless of who is designated, each PHA shall have only one vote and only one representative of that PHA may hold office. Substitute representation shall not be permitted 66 at meetings of the Executive Committee or Board of Trustees.
All former Association members in good standing at the time of their retirement, leave of absence, resignation, or termination from a PHA may be eligible for individual membership. Individual members shall have all rights of membership except the right to vote and the right to hold office.
Private companies, consultants, law firms and other businesses with an interest in public and assisted housing policy are eligible for affiliate membership. Such members shall have all rights of membership except the right to vote or hold office.
For more information about PHADA Affiliate Membership, click here.
Friends of PHADA
Other national, state, and local organizations and individuals with an interest in public and assisted housing policy are eligible for membership. Such members shall have all rights of membership except the right to vote or hold office.
Benefits of PHADA Membership
- Conference Registration Discounts – For yourself, each member of your staff and Board of Commissioners who attend a PHADA conference, your housing authority receives substantial registration discounts on all PHADA conferences.
- Publications Discounts – PHADA members receive discounts on guidebooks and manuals that help PHAs manage their day-to-day operations.
- Professional Development Programs – PHADA members receive discounts on the registration fees for a variety of professional development training programs.
- Library of Technical Resources – PHADA members have free access to an extensive collection of housing authority documents that cover a full range of operating policies and practices.
- The PHADA Website – Up-to-the-minute news information, for members only.
- Biweekly Newsletter – The Advocate provides members with insights into HUD and Congressional actions, funding opportunities, job vacancies, and major developments in Federal rental assistance industry. PHADA provides timely and thoughtful information regarding
- A Voice in Washington – The PHADA staff and leadership diligently serve the membership’s interests and needs through their liaison with Congress, HUD, and other federal agencies. PHADA develops and pushes for legislation and submits comments on HUD’s proposed regulations and administrative matters.
- Influence the direction of Federal Rental Assistance programs – Through committee participation and contact with the PHADA staff, members have the opportunity to articulate how national policies will impact on local programs.
- Networking – Your membership, involvement in PHADA, and participation at conferences and training programs puts you in touch with your colleagues throughout the nation.
The Bottom Line
Your membership dues will yield numerous returns on your investment, no matter how big or small your housing authority. It begins with a simple action – joining PHADA. An array of benefits makes your membership an outstanding investment in your professional development and in the future of your housing authority.
Need more convincing? Hear what existing PHADA members have to say about why membership matters to them in this short video.
Complete your online PHADA Membership Application here.
If you prefer to mail your application, you may download a PDF version here.
Membership Questions? Contact: Norma Bellew, Director of Membership, at: 202-546-5445, or email: email@example.com.