Public Housing Authorities Directors Association

Public Housing Authorities Directors Association



= members-only content

Hurricane Katrina Information

  • Comprehensive HUD program for Katrina evacuees

  • Other Hurricane Katrina information from HUD

  • Guidance for PHAs on assistance to disaster-affected families

  • Displaced public housing residents and Section 8 voucher holders can call 800-955-2232 for housing assistance. Other displaced persons should start by contacting FEMA for housing assistance: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) (TTY: 800-462-7585).

  • Jefferson Parish, LA asks all landlords and tenants in their Section 8 program to register at or through email at to update their housing status. Landlords with available properties may also register at the website, which is updated regularly. Recorded information is available at (504) 366-5344.

  • The Housing Authority of New Orleans has cancelled all open solicitations. HANO will disseminate additional information as it becomes available.

  • For those wanting to help Hurricane Katrina victims, FEMA has established a hotline at 800-440-6728 to coordinate donations of all types, including temporary housing for disaster victims, vehicles, construction equipment, food, and clothing. The current critical need is still for monetary donations to assist organizations at work providing relief in affected areas. More information is available at FEMA's Hurricane Katrina site. FirstGov also has a list of resources, including ways to help.

© 2018, Public Housing Authorities Directors Association