: Euclid Technology
You must be logged in to access this page.
Director of Housing Development
You must be logged in to access this page.
About Northwest Housing Alternatives
Northwest Housing Alternatives’ (NHA’s) mission is to create opportunity through housing. NHA provides affordable housing options for families, older adults, people with special needs and veterans earning low incomes across Oregon.
History and Experience
Formed in 1982, NHA’s portfolio serves over 2,900 residents in 1,872 units in 16 Oregon counties. We meet our mission and serve the residents of Oregon with support from HUD, Oregon Housing and Community Services, and numerous local governments, along with private equity funders and commercial lenders. NHA is a leader in innovative financing models, and in 2018 received the first award of LIFT Bond financing in a Governor-led initiative to pair urban and rural developments. We are persistent in seeking transformational ways to fund affordable housing, most recently developing veteran properties utilizing county and community-based resources. Additionally, NHA has spearheaded mixed-finance HUD 202/811/LIHTC projects and was one of the first non-profit agencies nationwide to utilize this funding methodology.
NHA continued to push the envelope in affordable housing development through its efforts in the Preservation movement across Oregon. After being the first organization to use the Oregon Housing Acquisition Fund to purchase properties with Project-Based Section 8 rental assistance at risk of conversion to market-rate housing, we went on to acquire and rehabilitate 13 such properties, including Hawthorne East, which won the Affordable Housing Finance 2017 Reader’s Choice Award for preservation projects. NHA properties enhance and add value to Oregon communities, as demonstrated by our Village at the Headwaters property, which won the 2010 MetLife award for best practices in green senior living. NHA continually seeks to enhance our portfolio’s sustainability and works closely with local partners to drive innovations in our field.
In 2013 NHA was one of the first affordable housing organizations in Oregon to adopt an imitative to further social equity and advancement for disadvantaged communities. Our Equity Policy ensures that we promote equity in our leadership and organizational culture, program design and delivery, and in the economic opportunities created by our work. These ongoing social equity indicatives help to create a fundamental foundation from which all NHA efforts are built.
With 35 years of dedicated service, NHA is an established award-winning leader in the area of affordable housing. We are positioned for a healthy future continuing our innovative and effective approach to meeting our mission with the respect and dedication that the people we help deserve. Our efforts to provide impactful resident services was recently recognized by two local foundations with significant grants to our Senior Health and Housing Initiative. In 2018 NHA was recognized by Oregon Business as the 4th best place to work among mid-sized nonprofits. Our new office headquarters is currently under construction in Milwaukie, Oregon within a mixed-use redevelopment project that includes 28 units of new affordable housing and the new Annie Ross House emergency family shelter. We are poised to continue to lead the affordable housing industry in Oregon and broaden crucial housing services for families, older adults, people with special needs, and veterans earning low incomes.
The Director of Housing Development is a senior position responsible for creating well-designed and financially sustainable affordable rental housing that meets urgent housing needs throughout our state. The Director of Housing Development will lead all development activities for NHA, providing management and oversight of our Housing Development department staff (currently 4FTE). Department activities encompass all facets of housing development, including site identification, project feasibility evaluation, applying for and securing financing, construction supervision, and transitioning projects to the Asset Management team once complete. This position is also responsible for developing the long-term vision and strategic planning for development team. The Director of Housing Development reports to the Executive Director, serves as a member of our senior management team, contributes to the leadership of the organization, and serves on other stakeholder committees and workgroup across the state related to relevant policy and program development.
This is an exciting time with a remarkable current project pipeline totaling $195 million:
- 810 units through 2021
- 12 projects (4 rehab, 8 new construction)
- New Campus: 28 units affordable, 8 shelter units, new office building
The organization is strong financially with an outstanding team of dedicated professionals to carry out this important work.
For more information: https://nwhousing.org/
Candidate Profile and Experience Requirements
Skills and Prior Experience
- Deep professional experience in community development, affordable housing development or related field.
- At least 5 years managerial experience leading, managing, motivating and coaching professional teams or departments.
- Detailed knowledge of affordable housing financing tools including LIHTC, OAHTC, Housing Trust Fund, CDBG, HOME, FHLB, etc. Familiarity with compliance and regulatory requirements of various sources.
- Demonstrated experience in structuring viable financing packages and securing funding through competitive and solicited processes.
- Direct experience managing complex and time-critical processes, funding requirements and relationships to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Skill in designing and implementing management systems and tools to create efficient, effective and well documented business processes.
- Extensive experience developing and maintaining external stakeholder and business relationships, including with regulatory agencies.
- Adept at seeking out new property and development opportunities
- Ability to evaluate risk and develop risk management plans for projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnership with funders, investors, consultants, contractors, regulatory bodies, and NHA staff and board of directors.
- Ability to collaborate with other NHA departments to coordinate housing development efforts with Asset Management and Resident Services.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and follow through to implement equity goals through project development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills including advanced proficiency in Excel and on-line research.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Community Development, Real Estate or related field; advanced degree preferred.
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record and own reliable transportation with current insurance.
Core Competencies and Personal Characteristics
The ideal candidate will be able to communicate a compelling and inspired vision that is shared both inside and outside of the organization. Strong interpersonal relationship skills are required to be successful in this position. The ideal candidate must genuinely care about people, be widely trusted and seen as an authentic, direct and truthful individual. The Director of Housing Development sets the tone for the organization and must be approachable and able to create a climate in which people want to do their best. The Director must be willing to question organizational practices and goals, and advocate for housing development activities.
NHA is deeply committed to equity and inclusion and the Director of Housing Development should be a champion for those efforts.
Success in the changing work of affordable housing development requires creativity and innovation. The job demands strong planning and organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple complex projects and remain composed under pressure. The ideal candidate will be just as comfortable digging into the details as they are in presenting the big picture.
- Job ID
- Job Title
- Director of Housing Development
- Application Deadline
- Salary Range
- $90000.00 - $120000.00
- Job Major Category
- Job Posting
- Job Location
- Portland, OR
- Morris, Jim
- Phone Number
- Best Method of Contact